15 January 2010

::Amazing People:: Of Impression and being impressed

Tired. Now I know why prof said to sleep more during the holidays. Well a lot of things has happened in the past few days it felt like weeks to me..

The first lecture was really inspiring and make me think a lot on life which I'd taken time to really think about it and will post it sometime later when I can put my feelings into words more accurately without losing my thread of thoughts. It makes me feel that many of us, or rather, most of us are rather passive about our lives.All of us knows it in our head, how to succeed, reach to your goal, make changes, find your passion and many more factors. All of us know but how many people really make an effort rather then sit back passively without doing anything? Somehow, it feels like, everyone's a automatic robot going about things in their life monotonously and the world's coloured black and white.

However, there are people out there that are coloured and vibrant, full of life and purpose. I've meet a whole bunch of those wonderful people, brimming with loads of different talents, ready to pursue their dreams, to take action on the first day of class, Monday, 11 Jan 2010.

Excited. That was how I am when I rushed to the first lecture of cs3216 with my dinner on hand. I've attended prof's cs1101s and I know from the description that cs3216 is going to so much more crazy. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" I've experienced that throughout my cs1101s course. While I know that for cs3216, I'm going to be struggling, going to miss many nights of sleep, going to "vomit blood" while trying to juggle all the other modules, I know deep down in my heart that I'd still take cs3216. cs1101s has been LOADS of fun, I've made close friends, I've met different people, I've learnt many things, be it thinking process and life lessons. It was terrific and if given the choice i'd take it again without thinking. I know that cs3216 is more than an ante up with the crazy factor being overloaded, there's no denying it but I'm prepared. I'm prepared for all the hard work, for the endless nights to come, to go crazy. I'm prepared to learn, to make friends, to listen and see things from different perpestive, to venture out of my safe heaven. I'm prepared to go wild, take chances and spread my wings. I'm more than prepared to reach, to stretch my limits and give my all. But most importantly, I'm prepared to have LOADS of fun and learn with my teammates and treasure each and every memory.

Impressive. Amazed. Awed were just the few impressions I have of my new classmates, some more than others, some less but there's no denying that I'm more impressed by the pool of talent and passion radiating from each and everyone then I've seen from others. Impression made by the human "instinct" under less than a minute is often accurate and I'd trust it when my heart tells me that everyone is promising talents. They are people crazy enough to take cs3216 but more importantly, people who let it go and really take ACTION.

Throughout superhero and the show-and-tell, my impressed level just goes up and UP. Through my JC life where I'm surrounded by crazily MULTI-talented people, I realised that those really talented people reallly DO excel in MORE than one area. This thought just solidified when I saw everyone's show-and-tell. It buffles me how can people be good at SO many things but I can see it before my very eyes that day that people like that do EXIST:) I believe that it stems from all the actions they take in their life whereas others just sat there passively, wasting away their talents.

I must say I'm totally awed at the wide variety of talents my module mates have. Instrumentalist, singers, dancers and all the wonderfully cool ideas and projects they've displayed, the raw talent, the courage, the PASSION. While I have nothing to say about all the impressive show-and-tell, I must reflect on the feelings, the thoughts and what I see from it.

While it was pretty obvious that the show-and-tell is there to allow you to showcase your talent so that people can appreciate, remember and be impressed on you. (I'm starting to remember people by what they've performed during show and tell >.<) I can see how this is a very important event during this course of the project. On the more serious note, it allows you to leave your print and impress upon others your presence. It is extremely essential because what follows after that is that you have to form groups for your assignments. This show-and-tell inadvertently aids you in that. We don't really have the time to mingle around and get to know others better and that was basically (for those who don't know you) what others will use to "judge" you. Those people with impressive show-and-tell gets "snatched" up pretty quick since they leave a good, strong impression on others. There are also those who stay back after show-and-tell to mingle with others so as to get a better impression

I've observed that different people have different ways to go about "showing off" themselves, some better than others. It is sad to note (though i know these kinda thing happens in real life) that some people are naturally better presenters than others. While it doesn't affect the actual potential, the first impression made (especially in cases like this) is so important that it very much determines whether people'd like to group with you according to their "image" of you. In the real life, it's rather sad that talents may go to waste since people can't really showcase their and don't have space to spread their wings because they can't really communicate with their colleagues or peers(though they can go their own way). There's always the talent-spotting people but if one's not good at communication or being a team-player, it's quite hard to survive out there where mostly everything's about teamwork nowadays. It's rather sad seeing talent being buried.

On the bright side(back to show-and-tell), I can feel the youthfulness, the energy and everyone has. It creates such a positive atmosphere that I can bask in it, feeling inspired by the endless talent, passion and energy. I feel privileged to be a part of a group of such amazing people and it more often than not make me want to never want to graduate cause I know the working world (I've worked before, it's terrible) will never or near rare to have such concentration of passionate, hardworking and inspired people working together with the drive to succeed and the readiness for action.

5 comments:

  1. It is sad to note (though i know these kinda thing happens in real life) that some people are naturally better presenters than others. While it doesn't affect the actual potential, the first impression made (especially in cases like this) is so important that it very much determines whether people'd like to group with you according to their "image" of you.

    Unfortunately this is how life is. You attended the Impression Management Workshop didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, the poke-the-penquin thing is quite cute. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe... you know our server's name right..there's a reference there~~ penguin~~~

    oh yeah, I did attend the impression Management workshop. I know and have seen such things happen in life where a person's success is very much determined by his/her communication and presentation skills... It's really sad to note that.. dunno, just feel very unfair about it all since a rather large portion is just a person's nature.. natural charisma, not really something you can learn..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raving review =D of show and tell and of our peps, which is cool. I am very impressed myself and I too love to bask in this space of passion and creativity to nurture my own character and learn from people.

    Impression counts, that's true. But its not all to me because not all in Life is just a brilliant sparkle. Sometimes its the blunt that makes me think, sometimes its the irony, and sometime its the sublime greatness of being alive and feeling myself and others. Stretching this analogy of Life a fair bit, people come in all sort of personalities, quirks and aspirations. But I do belief that everyone has sometime special and worthwhile about that takes time, effort and discovery to realise. (=

    I have a distaste for the self who looks down at others because pride which stands un-humbled sees only shortcomings and the artifice of perfection - and not the true greatness of others and the multitudes of Life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not to say that people do not appreciate others' good qualities since im sure everyone has their own unique beauty. It's just that, out there in the working world, it's rather erm....harsh, as i see it since people do not have the leisure and time to slowly showcase themselves and hope that others can see their beauty and talent, especially if you are one out of the many hundreds of competitors out there..

    ReplyDelete